Thursday, December 15, 2005

Huge Tumors: What's the fascination?

I'm sorry, but I felt I had to calmly say something about a bizarre trend in the media. So here goes - what in the name of all that is good and holy is the deal with peoples' recent fascination with the removal of huge benign tumors?

Yesterday on CNN, one of their Top Stories was about a girl getting
a 16-pound tumor removed from her face (this is the version with no nasty picture in it). It's a nice article about the triumph of the human spirit and so forth, but really - this is a Top Story? People are dying everywhere from all different kinds of things, the planet is going to hell, voting districts are being redrawn wantonly, Britney Spears and K-Fed are spawning demons to loose on an unsuspecting world, I think they may have stopped making Cracklin Oat Bran, and THIS is what people want to hear about? People with huge tumors?

















I'm sorry, Arnold. Apparently, it IS a tumor.

It's not just this most recent one, either. Check out this one. Or this one. Or this one. Or this one (this last one contains a semi-disturbing photo). There was even an episode of House about this! I think it all started back in 1998 on the Fox Network (SURPRISE!) with that Guinness World Records show, where they removed that huge 300-pound tumor from that woman.

(By the way, brilliant quote from the story on the Romanian woman's tumor removal: "The lack of the tumor really suits her," said her surgeon, Doctor Obvious. You know, I had a cousin once with a huge benign tumor on his ass, and it was VERRRRY becoming. But I digress.)


My question here is simple: What the hell is wrong with you people?

No comments: