Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Court redistricting decision - is it good or bad?

I don't claim to be a political expert - I'm just a regular guy trying to make sense of it all. To me, there seemed to be good in the Supreme Court's decision to throw out part of Texas' redrawing of voting boundaries so that certain groups - Hispanics, mainly - wouldn't be as big of a factor in elections. But there was bad in that they decided that states can redraw voting boundaries as often as they want - which means that whenever a new political party comes to power, they can redraw the districts in their favor. Personally, I don't see how that's going to lead to productive actions. Just more juice for partisan politics. More mud-slinging, more name-calling, more divisiveness (literally).

At least the decision wasn't completely bad. Right?

Hyperlinks:
- Washington Post
story
- I
blogged about this before

No comments: