Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Legislative action items: tax credits for sand, horse blinders
What if I told you this could be you...for absolutely no cost??
While GOP lawmakers back off a proposal to give everyone who buys gas a $100 check, Congress still hopes to press ahead with some kind of action to combat high gas prices, including a Democratic plan to have no gas tax for 60 days.
And I, for one, think it's a great line of logic. Let's give out free money to people in a way that makes them feel better without actually solving the problem, or -- GASP -- admitting that the solution may require sacrifices. After all, we're rolling in money, right?
So I now propose the following solutions to world problems:
1) Full rebates for all sand box and horse blinder purchases
2) Every alcoholic gets $100 in "booze stamps"
3) Air conditioner credits for all those affected by global warming
4) Meal vouchers for lawmakers, so lobbyists can't buy them dinner anymore
5) Free picture menus for all school lunch programs
So there you have it. I think we're really on to something here. So let's implement these programs, and you let me know how they pan out. I've got a sandpile to buy.
Washington Post story link
Technorati tags: Politics, News, gas prices, great ideas, Congress, humor, Washington, education